Wednesday, June 7, 2017

3D printables

I was invited by my friends in Germany to join them at the 1:12 Fair in Rheda this weekend.
But they wanted me to bring something along that I could show...

I am catching a train and there is no way to take along a model. But what I could share are the sturdier things that I have available in my Shapeways shop, printed in 3D.

So, very hectic weekend/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday designing and making the showcase (lightweight using foam board, dismantable for transport), paint some of the items that were in the raw plastic state and putting them into scene.


Spraying color on cardboard/foam board was tricky because - as we all know - it tends to suck up the moisture and then all is ruined. A primer doesn't do the trick either - same issue.
I sprayed very light coats - about 8 of them - and the damage was minimal because I used weights as well. Question of patience though because of all the waiting in between...

Not happy with the 'roof' and lettering - but time was limited and it will have to do for now...



These industrial lampshades are printed in metal and the weight is supposed to make them hang nicer than the lightweight ones... 

First time I installed this lampshade - used a 'pear' LED lamp

Same thing - as a bowl or as a lampshade
Ah, and then - how to make this stable? I made a great construction of wood, magnets, velcro and foam board, painted it and it was all ready when I spotted these two things behing a box in the studio! It could have been so easy...
I attached to magnet strips to the back and they snapped right on!! And now it is rock solid :-)

Hey, have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment